Sunday, March 2, 2014

My Favorites: List of Books

While most of the fandoms that I've talked about so far are movies or tv shows I realised I haven't talked much about my favorite books.  I could read all day... and night, and into the next day... and, you get the picture, but it seems harder and harder to find a good series of books to read, so I'd like to list some of my favorites, with a brief description of what they're about so you can pick the best sounding ones to read if you haven't read them all ready.


Sherlock Holmes (the original books and short stories)
by Sir Aurther Conan Doyle

I really don't think I need to give an explanation for this, except that if you haven't read them yet, you should give them a try.








The Chronicles of Narnia
by C.S. Lewis

Quite different from the movies.  In case you haven't seen the movies it's about several children that find a door to another land filled with fantastical creatures, where they battle evil.
Also if you don't have time to read these I highly suggest the dramatized reading of the books produced by radio theatre (very high quality).
http://www.focusonthefamily.com/radio-theatre.aspx











The Edge Chronicles
by Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell

A fantasy world revolving mainly around the character Twig.  The series takes place in a land known as the Edge: a large cliff where several cities are built that juts out over a bottomless abyss and later the regions behind the edge.  Filled with strange new creatures, flying ships, and knights that chase after storms to collect a precious substance known as storm frax from lightning in the ever treacherous twilight woods.

I have to admit the first book doesn't seem to go anywhere very fast but the second, and every book after that really picks up the pace.



The Missing
by Margret Peterson Haddix

Jonah thinks he's just a normal kid, well a normal adopted kid.  Until he finds out that he was one of 36 children that were kidnapped out of time.  Their kidnappers crash-landed in the 21st century were the children were found and given up for adoption to regular families, having no idea their children were stolen from a different time period and that all of time and space is now in jeopardy without them in their proper place.




The Shadow Children
also by Margret Peterson Haddix

In the future population laws only allow couples to have two children.  Luke is the third child in his family and has to stay hidden from everyone else otherwise the population police will take him away.  When he is nearly discovered Luke is forced to run away from home to keep both him and his family safe.










100 Cupboards
by N.D. Wilson

Similar to the Chronicles of Narnia (especially to the first book The Magicians Nephew) but a little darker.
The story revolves around Henry York, who, after moving in with his Aunt and Uncle discovers 100 cupboard doors hidden behind a wall of his room.  Each one leads into a different world.  Henry must save these worlds after accidentally releasing a terrible evil on them.












Alex Rider
by Anthony Horowitz

A 14 year old, British school boy is thrust into a world of espionage, spies, and assassins after his uncle is killed by a Russian contract killer.












I'm sure this isn't all of my favorites.  I read quite a lot but most of these are just some of my more recent reads, so they were on the top of my mind.  I'll make another post later when I think of the rest.
Have any good books to suggest?  Tell me about them in the comments.  If I like them I'll add it to the second part of my post.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment